Support Idaho Parental Rights Bill
Your prompt action is needed to PROTECT THE RIGHTS OF PARENTS AND FAMILY!
Idaho families have a rare opportunity to support a bill that actually strengthens parental rights. Please email your legislators to pass this important bill. The bill is scheduled to be debated in committee this Thursday morning, February 19th, at 9:00 a.m.
House Bill 113 explicitly states that, “Parents and legal guardians who have legal custody of minor children have a fundamental right to make decisions concerning the care, custody, education and control of their children.”
Why is This Necessary? For many years now, we have seen sometimes-tragic instances of bureaucrats, health care practitioners, federal courts, and even child protective services personnel overruling parental decisions with respect to the care, custody, education, and control of children.
This bill will make it clear that parents or guardians alone have both the right and the responsibility to determine how a child is to be raised and educated. If this bill passes, it will be the guiding presumption, except in those rare instances where parents or guardians have been proven to be neglectful or abusive.
This bill will expressly bring Idaho law into line with U. S. Supreme Court decisions dating back to the 1920’s.
- In the 1925 case of Pierce v. Society of Sisters, the Supreme Court stated: “The right to liberty includes the fundamental right of parents to direct the upbringing and education of children under their control.”
- More recently, in 2000, the Supreme Court in the Troxell v. Granville case stated: “The liberty interest at issue in this case -- the interest of parents in the care, custody, and control of their children – is perhaps the oldest of the fundamental liberty interests recognized by this Court. . . The child is not the mere creature of the State.”
What Can YOU DO?
- Call 208-332-1000 to leave a message for the entire House State Affairs Committee asking them to Vote YES on HB113…AND…
- Send an email to the members of the House State Affairs Committee: (Here is a little help)
- Copy and paste the list of Representatives’ email addresses from the bottom of this Alert into the “Blind Copy” or “BCC” box of your email message. Insert your own email address in the “To” box.
- In your “Subject” box put “SUPPORT HB 113”
- Begin your message with “Dear Representative” as your salutation
- Compose a short and polite message explaining why the Representatives should support House Bill 113. In your own words, for example:
- The right of parents to direct the upbringing and education of their children has been recognized as a fundamental right for centuries.
- The family is the cornerstone of society and must be strengthened.
- A steady erosion of support for parental rights has been taking place within the federal courts—leaving the child-parent relationship exposed to the eminent danger of government intrusion. HB 113 would place in statute that parental rights is a fundamental right.
- Bring accountability for illegal intrusion into family relationships.
- Society does better when the state does not interfere in the family. Children raised by their parents are the most successful in the long run.
- Our state laws should uphold that which is best for our society.
- End by thanking them for their service to our state.
FINALLY: PLEASE forward this email to as many friends as possible encouraging them to join in this effort.
THANK YOU! GREAT THINGS HAPPEN IN IDAHO WHEN YOU MAKE YOUR VOICE HEARD!!
House State Affairs Committee Members
email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com